Rosedale Guest House Troon - Royal Troon Golf Club
Accommodation & Facilities
• 1 Double and 1 Twin Room
• TV in all rooms
• Tea and coffee making facilities
• Ironing facilities
• Non-smoking facilities
• Golf nearby
Hairdryer in all rooms
• Children welcome
• Parking available
• A non-smoking establishment
The accommodation and bathroom is situated in the upper floor of the property and is ideal for parties of 4 persons travelling together.
A full Scottish breakfast is served in the dining room on the ground floor.
Ample parking is available.
We are ideally located for the Seacat Ferry to Belfast and trains to Glasgow, Ayr and Prestwick Airport.
Troon occupies a strip of land along the coast of the Firth of Clyde about 30 miles south-west of Glasgow.
Today, it is a small, lively town of about 10,000 inhabitants with another 5,000 in the adjacent residential areas of Barassie and Meadowgreen, with the village of Loans just a stones-throw inland.
Records from the beginning of the 19th century describe just a few cottages forming a clachan between what are now the new swimming pool and the marina. The story of the following 200 years revolve around the heads of the prominent families in the area.
For centuries prior and throughout the 18th century, the lands around Troon belonged to the Fullartons. They lived in a house called Crosbie and from the mid-1700s in the new Fullarton House, both located in what is today known as Fullarton Woods. Colonel Fullarton raised four regiments in support of the Crown in the last two decades of the 18th century and almost bankrupted himself in the process. The family's needs induced them to sell the lands around Troon to the Marquis of Titchfield who later became the 4th Duke of Portland. Above is a postcard view of Fullarton House c 1910
All of these names still echo loudly in everyday Troon life as Fullerton Drive, Titchfield Road, Portland Street, and Crosbie Tower, as do Willockston (barracks) Road, Wallacefield (Road), Darley (Golf Course), Craigend (Road), and Burnside (Place) which are all named after farms of 200 years ago.
In 1812, the Duke of Portland opened the first Railroad in Scotland. Running from Kilmarnock, the original intention was to carry goods (particularly coal) to and from a new harbour which the Duke had built at Troon. However, almost from the outset, fare-paying passengers were also carried. They paid one shilling for a single journey outside (1/6d same day return) or one shilling and sixpence for a single journey inside (Half-a-Crown same day return). From about a mile north of Troon Station through to Kilmarnock, today's railway follows that original route ……. though the fare has gone up a little. Initially the wagons were horse-drawn but in 1820, the Duke bought one of Stephenson's first steam locomotives and graciously allowed it to be named The Duke.